Differentiation for the Busy Teacher

This year, we will be doing some work on the topic of Differentiation.  If you think back to our first faculty meeting, we all took a moment to post what the word means to us.  Check out what everyone said here.





Before going any further, please comment below and briefly share a summary of a differentiated lesson you have recently taught in your classroom.



As we delve more deeply into forms of differentiation, I want to see if we can expand on this definition and push ourselves to try and differentiate in many ways.  Ways in which we may not yet have experience but ones that will  help us reach all of our students.  Come to the table with an open mind, curiosity for new ways to think of this topic, and the readiness to take a risk and try something new.  While we may all have the experience of F.A.I.L.ing (First Attempt In Learning) as we continue to discuss, learn, and dabble in unexplored territory we will be able to see how our students are engaging with their learning and exploring things more deeply. 


 For this faculty meeting, you will watch a 50 minute webinar called Differentiation for the Busy Teacher.  While watching this webinar, think about the following questions:  

  1. What are the 5 types of differentiating?
  2. What type was new to you?
  3. What type of differentiating is your "go to"? 
  4. What type might you want to try?
When you finish watching, please visit this Padlet and add your thoughts, musings, and ideas to our board.  

I look forward to hearing from each of you and watching us grow challenged, engaged, and enthusiastic learners this year.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was teaching a lesson on rounding. I had different groups completing different assignments. One group had task cards with clips (answers on the back) where they needed to put a clip on a number if it rounded to the number presented on the card. For example, 800 was in the center of the card and different numbers on the sides were given like 805, 892, 741, 756, etc. Students would put a clip on the numbers that rounded to 800. The answers would be on the back. This group worked with the teacher in the beginning until they could do it more independently.
    Another group had a matching/ concentration game on rounding with an answer key if they needed it. The last group had a rounding game to get 4 in a row with a spinner.

    Another thing that I am trying in my class is taking the math post assessment and having students pick skills that they either still need to practice or skills that they can challenge themselves with either through IXL or other activities. It is called their W.I.N. (Whatever I Need) sheet. Once or twice a week, they have the opportunity to pull out their W.I.N. sheet and work on the skills that they need. I started this with the place value unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have aids to assist those who need more help and opportunities for extension for those who are able at that point. An example of this is the introduction to oil pastel techniques unit that I am doing now. For the second graders I have a handout. I use the handout to explain the techniques as well as do a live demo; so there is differentiation in the modes of instruction delivery; written and visual. I then let students select their own level by letting them copy my idea and sample exactly, keep the general idea but change a few things, or to do their own idea completely. While working kids can use the handout actively next to them for support if that works for them, those who don't find it helpful, don't need to use it. At the end of each working session they fill out a brief work log.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using the Constructivist Method, we are decoding Hebrew words by isolating the prefix with one color, the suffix with another, and the root word with a third color. I gave each student the first sentence of the parsha Lech Lecha with all of the words out of order. They found each word as I put them on the wall in order as we discussed them. Each student then worked on their own isolating parts of the word. Some did all the prefixes first, then all the suffixes, then all of the roots. Some students went word by word. As far as PROCESS, it takes four encounters with new information within 48 hours to keep it in long term memory. We played games, worked on the coloring, practiced reciting, etc. for the entire week (which helped greatly when we moved on to the next Parsha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am teaching Hebrew to a child who is just learning it for the first time. We are beginning from scratch. She also has a difficult time in English. We have been using different modalities to learn the letters, the sounds of the letters and learn the writing of the letters. We have used these as she learns best when she is learning a variety of different ways. We have learned by flash cards, computer games, playing catch the Ball, worksheets, writing in sand, writing in the air, writing in play dough, writing on the white board, to name a few. Each time we try something new - I learn what works and what doesn’t work with her and maybe with another child.
      In addition, When we work on materials in Hebrew, some of the work is done and answered in English as she does not have the Hebrew vocabulary for the answers yet and I do not want to add to her plate of learning at the moment. I have had another student I am working with question why she gets to work in English and he cannot- and we had a long discussion on "what is fair but equal, and differential education."
      Because my work is just focused on with one child it makes this a bit easier for me to adapt my lessons and cater and meet her needs directly.

      Delete
  7. When deriving my lessons I consider the different learning styles of my students and try to accommodate their needs accordingly. In a spelling lesson, I used the 3 part drill, which follows the Orton Gilingham methodology (visual, auditory, kinesthetic). After teaching the spelling rule using these three parts, I incorporated a game where students can move, be creative, and practice reading in an engaging way. Once I assessed my students at the end of the lesson using a dictation, I noticed that my students were able to apply what they have learned and achieve 80% or more mastery. Using a multisensory approach is one way that benefits and supports my students learning needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guided reading groups are leveled based on Fountas and Pinnell assessment. I then tailor instruction based on what skills I see students need, such as accuracy, fluency, and comprehension. My lowest groups benefit from an Orton-Gillingham based approach because they do not yet have all their letters, sounds, blending, and nonphonetic words mastered. My middle groups read longer passages and practice applying their decoding strategies and learn to back up and reread for fluency. My highest groups expand their vocabulary with more complex texts. All students benefit from shared read aloud experiences where they all sequence, make predictions, infer, compare and contrast, increase their vocabulary, ask and answer questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am working with a small group of 2nd grade math students. Two of the students are well matched as learners while the third student struggles to keep up. In the group I am able to give direct instruction to the whole group, assign a task to two students and then work directly with the other student to give him more exposures to the material. As I work with him I check in with the other students and make sure they are progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chani P and I work together on developing Hebrew reading skills and the study of the weekly Torah portion for a group of diverse second grade learners. In order to meet the different learning style, interest and readiness we use a variety of ways and modalities. We try to present the lessons through multiple modalities including auditory (echo, storytelling, choral reading etc.) tactile (encoding with cards, tracing, dry-erase boards, marking up syllables), kinesthetic movement (motions while chanting, acting), and visual (smartboard, handouts, tracking syllables with lines, dress up). Some student benefit from the songs and acting out while others benefit from the pictures and writing. We also provide 1:1 support for students who seem to need additional reinforcement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently introduced a "Number of the Day" routine to my second graders to reinforce place value concepts. All learners initially received the same sheets, although the level of support required varied significantly from some working independently without manipulatives, some working with guided questioning (either physically using manipulatives or looking at visual representations of manipulatives), and others needing more directed teacher support. As the kids continue to strengthen their understanding of place value, the number of digits will increase for their daily number and/or they will be given new ways to represent the numbers (e.g. move from base ten block representations to using dimes and pennies).

    ReplyDelete
  12. As we have gotten to meet and work with new students this year, it's evident that not every student was exposed to the same content in certain subjects. In some cases, the students struggle to show what they know when presented with long assessments. It has been useful to adjust the amount of problems assigned to certain students, to still give us an opportunity to assess their mastery of the skills, while not having anyone overload. We have also presented the test questions to students on half pages and one at a time to help improve focus and avoid overwhelming/anxiety. Changing the presentation to help the student perform while still allowing us to gauge performance has been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to teach a skill and pair the kids to practice it. I love having my more skilled students paired with less skilled ones. They help the other child when needed. This is nice because some kids are better with certain skills and sports than in others. They can all feel that they are good at some particular skill. I then have the more skilled with like skills and less skills with like skills. It is awesome to see the improvement of everyone. Most of all, it teaches so many skills that help in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a recent writing lesson on using transitional words and phrases in a narrative story, I introduced the skill with a mentor text. We read the text together and highlighted examples of the transitions that the author used. As we moved through the lesson, the students filled out a graphic organizer that would later be available as a resource for them while working. I gave instructions orally and had them displayed on the board. The students then applied the skill to their drafts. I have students in my classes that benefit from using a variety of tools to help them complete their work, such as using the Read&Write for Google tool, using a slant board for handwriting, sitting in wiggle chairs, or standing while working. For struggling students, I highlighted a few transitional words from their graphic organizer and had them find a place to include them in their writing. For students that needed enrichment, I asked them to try to include a variety of transitional words, and/or work on strengthening other parts of their stories, and gave the option to work on a story of their choice or work on IXL skills on the topic at a higher level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Collaborative Classroom